As governments around the world grapple with how to reduce carbon emissions, various policy modifications and interventions have emerged. What is working, and what more can be done?
Policy interventions, destination management and collective action
- Sacchi, R., Becattini, V., Gabrielli, P. et al. How to make climate-neutral aviation fly. Nat Commun 14, 3989 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-39749-y
- Gössling, S. & Higham, J.E.S. (2020). The low carbon imperative: Destination management under urgent climate change. Journal of Travel Research 60(6), 1167-1179. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520933679
- Scott, D. and Gössling, S. 2021. Destination net-zero: What does the International Energy Agency roadmap mean for tourism? Journal of Sustainable Tourism, https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2021.1962890
- Sun, Y.Y. & Higham, J.E.S. (2020). Overcoming information asymmetry in tourism carbon management: The application of a new reporting architecture to Aotearoa New Zealand. Tourism Management https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2020.104231
- Sun, Y.Y., Lin, P.C. & Higham, J.E.S. (2020). Optimising the tourism demand mix: Concept and analysis. Tourism Management 81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2020.104161
- Markham, F., Young, M., Reis, A. & Higham, J.E.S. (2018). Does carbon pricing reduce air travel? Evidence from the Australian Clean Energy Future policy, July 2012 to June 2014. Journal of Transport Geography, 70, 206-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2018.06.008
- Hickel, J., Brockway, P., Kallis, G., Keysser, L., Lenzen, M. Slameršak, A., Steinberger, J. and Ürge-Vorsatz, D. Urgent need for Post-growth climate mitigation scenarios. Nature Energy 6, 766-768 (2021). https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-021-00884-9
- Higham, J.E.S., Ellis, L. & Maclaurin, J. (2019). Tourist aviation emissions: A problem of collective action. Journal of Travel Research (Tourism Foundations Conceptual Article) 58(4): 535–548. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287518769764
Climate policy and transport governance
- Gössling, S. and Humpe, S. (2023). Net-zero aviation: Time for a new business model? Journal of Air Transport Management 107, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2022.102353
- Gössling, S., Balas, M., Mayer, M. and Sun, Y.-Y. (2023). A review of tourism and climate change mitigation: The scales, scopes, stakeholders and strategies of carbon management. Tourism Management 95, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2022.104681
- Sun, Y.Y., Gössling, S. and Zhou, W. (2022). Does tourism increase or decrease carbon emissions? A systematic review. Annals of Tourism Research 97, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2022.103502
- Gössling, S. and Lyle, C. 2021. Transition policies for climatically sustainable aviation. Transport Reviews, https://doi.org/10.1080/01441647.2021.1938284
- Gössling, S., Nicolosi, J. and Litman, T. 2021. The health cost of transport in cities. Current Environmental Health Reports, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40572-021-00308-6
- Gössling, S., Humpe, A., Fichert, F. and Creutzig, F. 2021. COVID-19 and pathways to low-carbon air transport until 2050. Environmental Research Letters, 16, https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/abe90b
- Howitt, O. J. A., Carruthers, M. A., Smith, I. J., & Rodger, C. J. (2011). Carbon dioxide emissions from international air freight. Atmospheric Environment, 45(39), 7036-7045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.09.051
- Smith, I. J., & Rodger, C. J. (2009). Carbon emission offsets for aviation-generated emissions due to international travel to and from New Zealand. Energy Policy, 37(9), 3438-3447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2008.10.046
- Scheyvens, R., Banks, G., and Hughes, E. (2016) The Private Sector and the SDGs: The Need to Move Beyond ‘Business as Usual’. Sust. Dev., 24: 371– 382. https://doi.org/10.1002/sd.1623 .
Relevant media coverage
- Airport expansion does not boost UK growth or productivity – report. Guardian (17 July 2023). Read it here.
- Dutch government wins legal case to cut flights at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport. Simple Flying (8 July 2023). Read it here.
- Tighter limit on industrial, power and aviation emissions from 2024. The Independent (3 July 2023). Read it here.
- France bans short-haul flights to cut carbon emissions. BBC News (23 May 2023). Read it here.
- Adverts claiming products are carbon neutral by using offsetting face UK ban. The Guardian (15 May 2023). Read it here.
- Greenwashing era is over, say ad agencies, as regulators get tough. The Guardian (15 May 2032). Read it here.
- Government shrinks its carbon footprint by flying less. Stuff (12 May 2023). Read it here.
- Lobbyists in New Zealand enjoy freedoms unlike most other nations in the developed world. Radio NZ (25 March 2023). Read it here.
- Dutch city bans advertising for airlines and fossil fuels to tackle climate change. NZ Herald (9 September 2022). Read it here.
Other relevant documents
- Climate Change Committee. 2023 Progress Report to Parliament. (28 June 2023). (Link). See section 4 and search “aviation”.
- Submission on the Draft Tourism Environment Action Plan. Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment (19 July 2023). Info here, and download here.
- EU tackles products with ‘greenwashing’. MFAT (May 2023). Read it here.
- Proposal for a Directive on substantiation and communication of explicit environmental claims (Green Claims Directive). European Union (22 Mary 2023). Download it here.
- Submission of NZ Airports Association to Climate Change Commission rejecting special pricing measures to lower demand, rejecting changes to the treatment of international aviation, supporting CORSIA, supporting SAF. Download here.
Access research topics here:
- Back to Research Index home page (click here)
- The big picture – the challenge of climate change and aviation emissions (click here)
- Aotearoa’s tourism sector grapples with sustainability (click here)
- The aviation industry’s biggest challenge (click here)
- “Low carbon aviation”: aviation efficiency and technology myths (click here)
- Aviation: moral arguments and climate equity (click here)
- Policy considerations to reduce carbon emissions (click here)
- Infrastructure trajectories with positive long term outcomes (click here)
- Behavioural and attitudinal change to reduce emissions (click here)
- Economic consequences of (in)action on climate change (click here)
If you believe anything needs amending, updating or adding in to the index, please email us here.